Delaware County Historical Society

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 1)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 1)

Description

[page 1]

[corresponds to front cover of Delaware County Historical Society]

DELAWARE COUNTY

HISTORICAL SOCIETY

[illustration: DELAWARE COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM]
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 2)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 2)

Description

[page 2]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 1 of Delaware County Historical Society]

PUBLIC OPENING

and

SECOND ANNUAL PILGRIMAGE

DELAWARE COUNTY HISTORICAL

MUSEUM

Sunday, May 22, 1955

DELAWARE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 3)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 3)

Description

[page 3]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 2 of Delaware County Historical Society]

OFFICERS 1954-55

President Wyford Jones

Vice President Robert Powers

Recording Secretary Mrs. William Hahnert

Corresponding Secretary M. S. Cherington

Treasurer Bernard Hatten

Research Chairman H. C. Hubbart

Program Chairman Mrs. Walter Pabst

TRUSTEE

Mrs. Donald Canfield Mrs. W. S. Cole

Mr. Howard Cowgill Mr. Dwight Hoover

Mr. George Pugh Mr. George Thurston

COUNTY COMMISSIONERS

Mr. Cloice Barton Mr. R. K. McNamara

Mr. Eugene Thomas

MUSEUM COMMITTEES

ACCESSIONS Dr. and Mrs. William Hahnert, Dr. and Mrs. Herrold

Lancaster, Mr. and Mrs. George Pugh, Mr. and Mrs.

Thomas Graham.

MEMBERSHIP Dr. Maynard S. Cherington, Mrs. Harvey Cruikshank,

Merton Pinney, Thomas Graham, Roy Scott.

BUILDING AND

GROUNDS Dwight Hoover, M. S. Cherington, Mrs. Charles

Denison, Mrs. Robert Powers, Mrs. William Hahnert,

Howard Cowgill

PROGRAM Mrs. Walter Pabst, M. S. Cherington, Herrold Lancaster.

HOSPITALITY Mrs. Floyd Weaver

PUBLICITY Mrs. Harvey Cruikshank
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 4)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 4)

Description

[page 3]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 1 of Delaware County Historical Society]

CONTENTS

GREETINGS FROM OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY 4

GREETINGS FROM DELAWARE COUNTY 5

DELAWARE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 6

THE MUSEUM 9

THE NASH FAMILY 10

DELAWARE COUNTY HISTORY IN BRIEF 11

HISTORY OF CHURCHES 14

HISTORY OF SCHOOLS 15

PICTURES 16

HISTORY OF COUNTY SCHOOLS, LIBRARY 18

TOWN AND COLLEGE 19

MEDICINE AND JANE M. CASE HOSPITAL 21

EARLY RAILROADS 22

MANUFACTURING, INDUSTRY AND BANKING 23

DELAWARE FARMERS' EXCHANGE 26

DELAWARE COUNTY GRANGE 26

RUTHERFORD B. HAYES 27

1954-1955 SOCIETY PROGRAM 28

MEMBERSHIP IN SOCIETY 29

RECORDS IN MUSEUM AND IN PRINT 30

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 31
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 5)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 5)

Description

[page 5]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 4 of Delaware County Historical Society]

The Ohio Historical Society

THE OHIO STATE MUSEUM, COLUMBUS 10

The Ohio Historical Society congratulates the Delaware County Hist-

orical Society on the opening of its new historical museum. We all know

that historical societies are born to preserve the history of a given geo-

graphical area. But now, within your grasp is a means for interpreting

that history to your community.

In opening a museum you have assumed some heavy responsibilities,

and there will be, as you have no doubt already discovered, a variety of

problems. Having a museum is not always easy. It means work, hard

work, and the cooperation of many. Yet, observing the mixture of fasci-

nation, wonderment and joy in the faces of young visitors is a rich ample

reward.

With a museum you have a truly important line of communication to

those you wish to reach - children, adults, prospective members and par-

ticipants in the program of the Delaware County Historical Society. Plan

wisely and demonstrate that the museum is vital to the Delaware Com-

munity. With a well-worn path to the museum door you will not lack com-

munity support.

The Ohio Historical Society has a deep interest in your society and

museum, as it has with any similar group in Ohio. May we sincerely

offer whatever assistance we can give.

On this memorable occasion marking the opening of your new hist-

orical museum, again congratulations and best wishes. We believe that

in many ways this opening marks also the beginning of a new era in the

history of Delaware County.

Erwin C. Zepp

Director

The Ohio Historical Society

Columbus 10
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 6)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 6)

Description

[page 6]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 5 of Delaware County Historical Society]

This is a happy day that I welcome you to the opening of the new home

and museum of the Delaware County Historical Society. When our Society

was founded in 1947, the charter members had great visions of making it a

means of preserving some of the material things of historical significance

which are a part of our Delaware County heritage. In our struggle to keep

this Society alive, it has been our sincere desire to have a museum and to

have members from all parts of Delaware County take a real and active

part. Today, we have seen much of that vision become a reality.

It was from her sincere desire to serve this Society and Delaware

County that Miss Pauline Nash contributed her family home as our museum.

One room in this museum has been set aside as the Eugene Nash Memorial

Room in honor of her father, who was a collector of Delaware County hist-

orical items. We all thank Miss Nash for her gracious gift.

In the last nine months, much has been accomplished toward the condi-

tioning of this home as a museum. We have much left to do; however, from

this simple beginning as you see it today, we welcome you, and may you be

inspired to take a more active interest in the advancement and growth of this

Society.

To all of the officers, chairmen of committees, committee members,

Society members and friends who have contributed so much of their valu-

able time in these busy days toward the opening of this museum, I wish to

express my sincere thanks.

Wyford D. Jones

President
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 7)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 7)

Description

[page 7]

[corresponds to page 6 of Delaware County Historical Society]

DELAWARE COUNTY'S HISTORICAL SOCIETIES

The first mention we have found of an historical society in Delaware

County is an article written by D. W. C. Lugenbeel in the Delaware

Gazette, for August 31, 1909. Here stated that "The Colonization Society

was organized in 1832 with Mr. Hosea Williams as President." No men-

tion was made of activities or programs of the society.

The 1880 History of Delaware County (p. 203) states that "About the

year 1870, an effort was made to reorganize a pioneer association in the

county, but as a society, it has never amounted to much. One or two

meetings were held, officers elected, and a Fourth of July picnic dinner

(arranged). This constituted the bulk of its proceedings." Rev. J. D.

VanDeman was elected Chairman, and Eugene Powell, Secretary, of a

temporary committee of fifteen. The Hon. Thomas W. Powell gave the

address of the occasion. The Hon. O. D. Hough was elected permanent

president of the Pioneer Association of Delaware County. Some perma-

nent committees were named and some activities outlined for them. The

only meeting bsides the picnic known to have been held was on "the last

day of the County Fair," in October, 1871, over a year later.

There must have been some effort made to revive the society, per-

iodically, for the Delaware Gazette, in an article, September 3, 1909,

quoted the "last letter written to Delaware County by General Rosen-

crans." It was addressed to D. W. C. Lugenbeel, and read: "I am sorry

that I see no present prospect of being able to meet the Delaware County

Pioneer Association, at Delaware, August 1, 1891. In a life of seventy-

one years, I have had no time to revive memories which cluster around

the home of my childhood. . . The desire to do this is so strong that I have

still a hope that I may be able to gratify my wishes some day. Meanwhile,

I am Very Respectfully Yours, W. S. Rosencrans." *

Another letter in the same article, dated almost a year later, was

referred to as the last letter written by President Hayes to his birthplace.

It was also addressed to D. W. C. Lugenbeel, Secretary, and stated:

"Absence from home for two weeks. . . prevented me from seeing your

favor of the 18th of July until too late for acceptance of its invitation. With

best wishes, Yours, etc., Rutherford B. Hayes."

On February 8, 1906, some citizens of the county met at the office of

Mr. H. E. Buck and formed The Delaware County Historical and Archaeolo-

gical Society. The following trustees were elected: Henry Buck, Frank L.

Grove, D. L. Ziegler, Joseph Gross, J. L. Smith, J. B. Taggart. The first

named was to serve a six-year term, the others five, four, etc., as listed.

Mr. J. L. Smithwwas elected president, D. L. Ziegler, vice president, Frank

L. Grove, Secretary, Joseph Gross, Treasurer, and J. B. Taggart, Curator.

Meetings were held every Monday and the last entry in the minutes was made

on April 26, 1910. This book is now (1955) in the custody of the Delaware

County District Library.

6

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 8)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 8)

Description

[page 8]

[corresponds to page 7 of Delaware County Historical Society]

Urged by Mrs. Walter S. Cole, a number of persons interested in the

history of Delaware County, past and present, met in the old Marlborough

Church on October 12, 1947. Previously, in May, 1947, a group had tenta-

tively organized the Marlborough Historical Society, but it was decided that

this should be enlarged to include the whole of Delaware County, and to

change the name to The Delaware County Historical Society. The first meet-

ing of the new society was held in October; the constitution written and the

society incorporated in November. On November 17, 1947, the first officers

were elected. It was approved that the officers of the disbanded Marlbor-

ough Society be the officers of the new Delaware County Historical Society;

Mr. Wilbur J. Main, president, and Mrs. Walter S. Cole, secretary. The

group had no treasurer, so Mrs. Edgar Nichols was elected to that office.

The organization grew slowly, with much interest in the telling of past

history, but with no financial backing or foundation with which to acquire a

home for the society and/or a place to house and display the gifts of relics

and records that it was hoped would come to the society for preservation.

A number of papers, records and books were promised to various members

for the society at such time as permanent housing would be available.

In the summer of 1954 Miss Pauline Nash offered her home at 157 E.

William Street to the Delaware County Historical Society for a museum.

After a number of meetings by the officers and trustees in August 1954,

this offer was accepted on an annuity basis. This was made possible by

an annual allotment of funds from the County Commissioners, as stated in

Ohio law. Work of getting the house in order for a museum was slow, but

the enthusiasm of the members never lagged. Now, with the opening of a

museum nearly eight years after organization, is the real beginning. The

Society has a place to house and display some tangible evidences of Dela-

ware County's past. The present must not be forgotten - it is tomorrow's

past.

Presidents have been: Wilbur J. Main, George Pugh, Robert Powers,

Thomas Graham, and Wyford Jones; secretaries: Mrs. Walter S. Cole,

Thomas Graham, and Mrs. William F. Hahnert; corresponding secretaries:

Mrs. Walter S. Cole, M. S. Cherington; treasurers: Mrs. Edgar Nichols and

Bernard Hatten.

On October 20, 1947, with Fred Wicham as attorney, the incorporators

of this society were: W. J. Main, John McClure Snook and Genevieve Cole.

Trustees named on the charter are: Dave Sherwood, Lucille Canfield,

Thomas A. Price, Cleo Scott, L. A. McMillan, Milton Utley, R. B. Powers,

Leland Fisher, Genevieve Cole, Elizabeth Weaver, and John McClure Snook.

The document of incorporation bears the seal of the State of Ohio, the

signature of Edward J. Hummel, Secretary of State, and the date November

3, 1947.

Contributers: Thomas Graham, Anna Pabst, Mrs. William Hahnert

7
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 9)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 9)

Description

[page 9]

[corresponds to page 8 of Delaware County Historical Society]

THIS DAY, MAY 22, 1955, is the official opening of the newly

acquired museum of the Delaware County Historical Society, and the

second annual pilgrimage planned by the Society. We welcome guests

from all over our State.

This museum, located on West William Street, State Route 42,

has been the Nash home since 1885. It is a two story red brick home

with seven rooms, built in 1876. The front porch was added at a later

date. The spindles of the railing on the porch were originally in the

railing of the City Council chambers. The interior of the home has

been redecorated for this occasion - and for the museum. The front

hall has an open winding stairway with black walnut stair rail and newell

posts.

The museum will show materials designed to stimulate community

interest in local history. They will tell the story of the past of our

county. The displays will vary from time to time. The historical col-

lections of Mr. Nash will be kept intact in the Eugene P. Nash Memorial

Room. The rest of the house will be devoted to Delaware County. Some

few pieces of furniture have been acquired. The oldest, perhaps, is a

desk over which the first taxes of Delaware County were paid. Some

old, or primitive tools have been donated, with old guns, pictures, maps,

and a few pieces of wearing apparel. There is equipment for spinning

and weaving, as well as dental equipment for an early dentist's office

and a number of children's toys.

The building was built in 1876 by John Slattery, the grandfather of

Dr. George Parker. It was acquired by our Society in 1954 by annuity

gift from Miss Pauline Nash, the owner.

Deeds in the posession of the society show these owners:

December 9, 1865 Carolyn Graff to John Graff.

August 1, 1876 Christopher & Emily M. Potter to John Slattery.

August 1, 1876 from John and Mary Slattery to Thomas Slattery.

February 9, 1881 John C. Graff & wife to Anna Shindoler.

August 4, 1882 Thomas Slattery to Mrs. Anna Hutchins

August 12, 1882 Anne Hutchins to Sam Hutchins

August 3, 1885 Samuel and Sarah A. Hutchins to William Henry Nash

for a consideration of $2400.00.

February 13, 1915 heirs of William Henry Nash to Eugene P. Nash.

June 29, 1929 Eugene P. Nash to Lois C. Nash.

September 1, 1954 Pauline Nash to Delaware County Historical Society,

annuity contract.

8
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 10)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 10)

Description

[page 10]

[corresponds to page 9 of Delaware County Historical Society]

THE NASH FAMILY

[photo of Pauline Nash]

The name "Nash" is supposed to

be a corruption of atten-ash, at the Ash;

Naish, place near Bristol, England. The

family, like its name, is of Saxon origin,

and were resident in England prior to

the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name

is found at early dates in the counties of

Oxford, Worcester, London, Suffolk and

Lancaster, as well as in Ulster, Ireland

and Wales at the end of the sixteenth cen-

tury. The families came to the eastern

shores of the United States. The Dela-

ware county family are in direct line of

descent from these families. Eugene P. Nash, son of William Henry

and Emmeline (Williams) Nash, was interested in collecting old Dela-

ware County relics such as, Bibles, hand-made linens, badges, news-

papers, fractional currency, samplers, items from President Hayes'

birthplace, Indian relics, etc. Eugene Nash married Lois Cole, May

25, 1893 and they came to Delaware from Berlin Township. Lois Cole,

the daughter of Captain Elias Cole, Delaware County Treasurer for

many years, was an accomplished seamstress. She was highly re-

garded as a dressmaker, and her list of patrons included the best

dressed women of the 1890's.

Two interesting items from her journal read: "December 12,

1892. This morning at 4:45 Father and I started over East to collect

taxes. . Olive Green. . to Sunbury and put up at the Paul Hotel. Dec. 13

. . . to Centervillage. Dec. 14. . collected at Galena and had dinner at

Mrs. Johnson's. Dec. 15, collected at Sunbury. . and came home reaching

our destination at 8:15." . . . "June 23, 1899. We got ready to go . .

to the laying of the cornerstone of the Masonic Temple. It was so warm,

101 in the shade."*

The only child of Eugene and Lois Nash is Pauline Nash, donor

of the Museum. Miss Nash is an expert in many phases of handicraft,

including ceramics, quilting and weaving. She was Delaware County's

first Red Cross Gray Lady, is a member of the First Baptist Church, the

George L. Behrens Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, the Beta

Sigma Phi, and has served for many years as a volunteer Home Service

Secretary of the County Red Cross unit.

Anna C. Smith Pabst. *This item from Eastern Shore Nashes, by Anna

Pabst, now in publication. Over 370 pages, over ten thousand names.

9
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 11)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 11)

Description

[page 11]

[corresponds to page 10 of Delaware County Historical Society]

GRANGE HISTORY

January 13, 1866, Oliver H. Kelly started on a trip through the South

and conceived the idea of a fraternity of farmers to restore agriculture and

united once more the north and south. December 4, 1867 is recognized as

the birthday of the Grange when a formal session of founders was held at

Washington D.C. and the National Grange was organized and officers elected.

April 9, 1873, the Ohio State Grange was organized at Lebanon, Ohio, with

S. H. Ellis as State Master. It now has over 900 local groups with a mem-

bership of 177,900. Delaware County has a membership of 2100 in its local

granges. The Grange includes all family membership and through demo-

cratic organization encourages rural people working together for the benefits

of farm life.

Floyd Weaver

[newspaper clipping]

137th Year Started

By The Gazette Today

Today's issue of the Delaware

Gazette is No. 1 of Vol. 137.

The first newspaper was pub-

lished here in 1818 by two min-

isters, Jacob Drake, a Baptist,

and Josiah Hughes, a Presbyter-

ian. Early editions were printed

on coarse, yellow paper and were

only four columns wide.

On Sept. 24, 1821, The Gazette

became the property of Ezra

Griswold, publisher in Columbus

and Worthington, and the next

issue on Oct. 10, 1821 appeared as

the "Delaware Patron and Frank-

lin Chronicle." Subsequent name

changes labeled it as the "Dela-

ware Patron and Sandusky Ad-

vertiser" until May 13, 1830, and

then "Ohio State Gazette and

Delaware County Journal."

Griswold sold the paper in 1834

to George W. Sharpe who called

it the "Olentangy Gazette." In

that year, Sharpe invited a rela-

tive, Abram Thomson, to come

from Maryland to be his partner

and two years later Thomson be-

came sole owner, changing the

name back to the original one,

"The Delaware Gazette," which

has continued to the present day.

With the exception of six years,

1865 to 1871, sole ownership of

the newspaper has remained in

the Thomson family. During that

time, Capt. Alfred E. Lee, who

served with distinction in the

Civil War, owned a half-interest.

The present editor and publish-

er, Walter Dunlap Thomson, and

his son Henry Clay Thomson II,

general manager, are the third

and fourth generations. In 1884,

The Gazette changed from a

semi-weekly to a daily paper. A

separate edition of interest to

rural readers was published semi-

weekly until 1930.

DELAWARE, O. GAZETTE

MONDAY, APRIL 11, 1955

10

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 12)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 12)

Description

[page 12]

[corresponds to page 11 of Delaware County Historical Society]

IN THE BEGINNING. . . .

It is believed that Central Ohio was inhabited by the Mound Builders

over 800 years before the Indians. There are several examples of these

mounds in the county but there is no trace of language, history, or anything

that would give a clue as to where they came from and where they went.

The contents of the mounds often suggest origins in New England, Florida,

Mexico and Peru. The Indians who came later had no knowledge or tradi-

tion concerning them. The Indians who were here when the first white set-

tlers arrived, were the Delaware, the Shawanees and the Mingoes, and per-

haps small groups of other tribes. It was not until after the second Treaty

of Greenville in 1814 that the Indians left this area.

The first settlement in the county was made May 1, 1801 on the east

bank of the Olentangy, five miles below Delaware (now Liberty Township)

by Nathan Carpenter and Avery Powers, from Chenango County, New York.

In April 1802, Thomas Cellar and Josiah McKinney, from Franklin County,

Pennsylvania, settled two miles lower down the river.

In the fall of 1803, Henry Perry and David Pugh, from Wales, made

a clearing and put up a cabin in Radnor, three-fourths of a mile from Delhhi.

Then in the fall of 1804, Colonel Moses Byxbe and his company from Berk-

shire, Massachusetts, settled on Alum Creek and named their settlement

Berkshire. Col. Byxbe was considered wealthy for his day and owned 8000

acres here that he had obtained through the purchase of land warrants from

the Revolutionary soldiers. He brought quite a company with him and al-

though he established and laid out the first town in the county it became of

little importance.

Berlin Township was settled next in 1805 by George Cowgill on part

of 4000 acres owned by Byxbe and later that same year Philander Hoadley,

David Isaac, and Chester Lewis settled on part of 4000 acres owned by

Joseph Constant. Asa Scott was the first treasurer of the township and

gave it its name.

An early settlement was made by a native of Wales, Richard Hoskins,

his wife and seven children when they started a home on Boke's Creek, in

Scioto Township in 1806. This was followed by many others in the next

few years. Genoa was settled in 1807 by Marcus Curtis and Elisha Newell

from Connecticut, and William Cox came later from Pennsylvania. In

Kingston Twp., George Hess and John Philips came from Pennsylvania in

1807, and James, Stark, John Rosecrans, Daniel Rosecrans and David Taylor

in 1809. It was in Kingston Twp. that the famed Civil War General, W. S.

Rosecrans was born.

Delaware Township and City was slow in getting settled. In 1807,

James Barber built a cabin near the Sulphur Springs where he kept a Tavern.

Shortly Col. Byxbe and some of his friends came in from Berkshire and laid

out the town of Delaware. The county was organized in 1808. With Col. Byx-

be were William Little, Dr. Lamb, Solomon Smith, Elder Jacob Drake,

Thomas Butler, and Ira Carpenter. That same year Byxbe built the first

11

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 13)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 13)

Description

[page 13]

[corresponds to page 12 of Delaware County Historical Society]

frame house on East William St. (Lot 70) and in the fall of 1809 the first

brick house was erected on Winter Street by Elder Drake.

In 1807 settlements were made in several other townships. Marl-

borough was settled by Jacob Foust near the forks of the Whetstone, then

Ariel Strong and a couple named Swinington, and the next year, Nathaniel

Wyatt and William Brundage settled in Marlbourough. William Perfect and

Mordecai Thomas chose Trenton Township for a home site. Benijah Cook

and a man named Thomson settled in Harlem Township. Porter Township

was settled by Christopher and Ebenezer Linberger from western Pennsyl-

vania, and later by Joel Z. Mendenhall. They all located around Olive Green.

In About 1808 Joab Norton moved into Orange Township. He started

the first tannery in the county and also could make shoes. Sometime after

1809, Brown Township was settled by Daniel G. Thurston, F. Cowgill and

Stephen Goram, on the west bank of Alum Creek. Ezra and Comfort Olds

moved into Oxford Township in 1810, coming from Sunbury. Then came

John and Henry Foust from Marlborough. The Olds cabin was only one

room, 20 feet square, and there were six persons in the Olds family. That

fall a family named Clark arrived, and the Olds' took the nine Clarks in

with them, making fifteen persons in this one room cabin. Concord Twp.

started with the coming of George Hill from Pennsylvania in 1811. He

built his cabin just north of where the old Mansion House of the White Sul-

phur Springs was later to be located in 1842 by Nathaniel Hart. Still later

this was bought by the State, in 1869, for "The State Reform School for

Girls." Christopher Freshwater came with Hill. Thompson Township

was settled in 1809 by Samuel Weaver, then in 1816 John Cochrane came

from Pennsylvania. Eleazer Main settled in the area that is now Troy Twp.

in 1812, but soon left for service in the War of 1812. Lyman Main was

another early settler, as well as Joseph Cole, David Dix, John Duncan and

William Norris, who came from old Virginia.

In these early days there were no roads, only trails, and the settlers

built their own mills for grinding grain, saw mills for lumber, tanneries

for leather. Sometimes a blacksmith shop, a store, or a tavern was

started as it was a hard trip to go without products to sell, or supplies to buy,

from such distant points as Franklinton and Chillicothe.

It is interesting to note that the first settlement made in Delaware

County was 154 years ago this month, on the east bank of the Olentangy

River in Liberty Township.

Captain Nathan Carpenter arrived from New York on May 1, 1801.

He brought his family and about 20 young men who wanted to see this new

country. Some of them later became prominent settlers.

Captain Carpenter erected a cabin on what was recently the Eli Long

farm, two miles south of Stratford. The land was purchased last year by

The Greif Bros. Cooperage Coporation which is now restoring that first

cabin as an historical monument.

12
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 14)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 14)

Description

[page 14]

[corresponds to page 13 of Delaware County Historical Society]

Nathan Carpenter sold his New York estate and made the long,

hazardous journey into Ohio (requiring two months, 18 days) for the

same reason that many Ohioans now dispose of their property and

travel to California or Florida to live. Carpenter went up on the roof

of his house in New York one winter morning to shovel off snow, "a

frequent necessity in that climate." When he descended, he told his

wife that he had decided to leave that land of hills and snowbanks and

go to the wonderful Ohio.

Another early settler of Liberty Township, George Cruikshank,

who came here from Salem, New York in 1815, had similar feelings

about the climate he left behind. In a letter dated August 30, 1816,

George wrote to his brother, Peter, in Salem, telling him how he had

purchased 500 acres of "the best land you ever saw" out here in Ohio,

with a comfortable log house and a stable, 12 acres cleared and fenced,

at $4 an acre.


"For mercy sake," George's letter continued, "when you hear this,

pull up stakes like a man and leave that frozen and inhospitable land

where the winter consumes all the summer doth yield. . . I could say

many more things to induce you to leave that dreary land for the sake

of coming to this garden of the world.!"

Contributors: Dr. M. E. Cherington, Mrs. Harvey Cruikshank.

THE DELAWARE GRAPE brought fame and some fortune to Delaware

County and Countians. About the year 1850 is was found growing along

the banks of the Scioto. A Mr. Heath had brought it from New Jersey

years before. Mr. Abram Thomson of the Delaware Gazette, discovered

its superior merits, and its introduction created a furore in the

grape-growing circles. The prices for grape-vines ranged from $1.00

to even $5.00. It did require proper soil and great skill to produce it

properly, so some inexperience growers were disappointed. However,

its fame brought Delaware County fame.

13
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 15)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 15)

Description

[page 15]

[corresponds to page 14 of Delaware County Historical Society]

DELAWARE'S CHURCHES

The first of the several churches in Delaware was the Presbyterian

which was organized in 1810. They built a church in 1825, rebuilt in

1843, and remodeled extensively in 1874. St. Peter's Episcopal congre-

gation was organized in 1817. They built a church in 1825, and rebuilt in

1844, their present church.

The William Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in

1818. Their first church building in Delaware was erected by the Metho-

dists in 1822, across Franklin Street from the present location. The

second church was built on the present site in 1846, and the present church

was built in 1888. St. Paul's Methodist Church, organized in 1852, Grace

Church, in 1860, and Asbury Church, in 1888, took their beginning from

the church membership of William Street Church.

St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1821. In

the early days a minister came once a month from Columbus and preached

twice on a Sunday, once in German and once in English. In 1834, the

Lutheran congregation, assisted by the unorganized Reformed people, built

a stone church on the southeast corner of William and Henry Streets. In

1852, the Lutheran people sold their interest in the church to the Reformed

congregation, which had been organized in 1836, and the Lutherans built

their stone church on East William Street. In 1856, the Reformed people

replaced their stone building with a brick church which served them until

damaged by the flood of 1913, after which they built their church at Central

Avenue and Franklin Street.

The German Methodists organized in 1836, and built in 1854, the brick

building on the northeast corner of University Avenue and Washington Street.

They existed as a separate conference for some years and then joined with

the larger M.E. Conference.

The Welsh Congregational Church was organized in 1841. In 1844,

they built a brick church on West Winter Street on what is now West School

grounds. Services were conducted in Welsh until 1870.

The Baptist Church was organized in 1853, after having had lay mini-

sters since about 1810 or 1812. They built their church on the present site

in 1858. It was extensively remodeled about 1909.

St. Mary's Church was organized about 1850. They built, in 1854, a

frame church on University Avenue, west of Sandusky Street. In 1890, they

built their present church on East William Street. Delaware now has nine-

teen different churches.

Thomas Graham

14
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 16)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 16)

Description

[page 16]

[corresponds to page 15 of Delaware County Historical Society]

DELAWARE'S SCHOOLS

Education in Delaware from the founding in 1807 to 1815 was conduc-

ted by parents in their homes. Morgan Academy opened in 1815 as a tui-

tion school but closed after a few years. Several private schools provided

schooling from 1815 to 1825 when the first state law provided for a 1/2

mill tax for educational purposes. Population of Delaware up to that time

was under 500 people. The main concern was for primary education.

Among the interesting people who founded and conducted private schools

were Mr. James B. Weaver, 1821; Capt. Murray, 1823; John A. Quitman,

1823; Miss Sophia Moore and Mr. Richard Murray, 1825; Mr. Asa Mes-

senger, 1827; Albert Pickett, 1834; Horatio Seymour, 1834; Mrs. Howison

and Miss Johnson, 1832, and Mrs. Sprague, 1832.

Under the 1825 state school law, a stone school house on the south-

west corner of Franklin and Winter Streets and a frame school on the

northwest corner of the court house lot were built. Miss Eliza T. Thomp-

son, later Mrs. William Carson, was the first teacher for the primary

pupils. In 1834 citizens built Delaware Academy on University Avenue

as a tuition school for older pupils. It failed soon but much later became

a public school.

Central School for older pupils was opened in 1846 as a result of an

improved Ohio law for schools in 1847. It was the rebuilt old William St.

Church and continued until 1859. Mr. Lucius P. Marsh, 24 years of age

was the first superintendent of schools. In 1859, Central School was trans-

ferred to a new building where West School is located now. In 1865, James

S. Campbell became superintendent and continued until 1891. In 1869, a

North School of 4 rooms was constructed, and in 1870 an East School of 4

rooms. In 1875 a six-room building was built in south Delaware. Rooms

were added to all later. A high school was built on Winter Street in the

1880's, West replaced Central in 1904 and East was rebuilt in 1913. North

and Woodward were built in 1950. Willis High School was dedicated on

October 16, 1932. (Woodward School replaced South School and took the

name of Laura Woodward, beloved principal of the school.)

In 1879 the enumeration of the school age youth was 2300. Teachers

numbered 25. The budget was $13,500, and the school tax was just over

3 mills. Some over 1100 pupils were in schools. Pupils averaged over

50 per room.

Delaware High School's first commencement exercises were held

on June 22, 1877 for 16 graduates. The 1955 graduating class has over

100.

1956 will see the completion of a new elementary school in Delaware,

remodeling on East and West, added rooms on Woodward and North, making

five elementary schools, one high school, and one parochial school.

D. R. Smith

15
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 17)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 17)

Description

[page 17]

[corresponds to unlabeled pages 16 and 17 of Delaware County Historical Society]

[photos]

Left,

Dr. Reuben Lamb Home

Fort Cheshire

Mansion House

Right,

Byxbe Family Home

President Hayes' Birthplace

Eugene Nash and dog
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 18)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 18)

Description

[page 18]

[corresponds to page 18 of Delaware County Historical Society]

DELAWARE COUNTY SCHOOLS

The schools of Delaware County are closely related to the life and

service of Henry Thomas Main, who served as county superintendent of

schools from 1926 to 1937. During his office, he witnessed the change

from one room to centralized schools.

In 1882, Mr. Main began his teaching career in the one-room school

in Marlborough Township, Number 5, at the age of 17. There was only a

winter term and the teacher boarded around in turn at the homes of his

students, and received a salary of $18 a month. From this township

school, Mr. Main went to Ashley where he taught in the old school build-

ing which is now the ribbon factory owned by R. B. Powers. In 1892, he

became the principal of South School in Delaware. In 1908, he served as

principal of Delaware High School, then in 1920, as superintendent of the

Delaware schools. While principal, he was president of the Central Ohio

Teachers' Association.

In earlier days, he served on the Boxwell examination committee

with Milton Utley and Ira Gregory. It was necessary for the students to

pass this examination if they wished more than an elementary education

without paying tuition. He also served on the examining board of the city

and county teachers, as well as an executive for the County Institute of

Teachers as long as it was held. He gave fifty-one years of unselfish ser-

vice to the betterment of public schools in which he so firmly believed

and so much loved.

Forrest Main Lawrence

DELAWARE COUNTY LIBRARY

Through the vision of a small group of interested women the local

library was established. It was originally organized as a municipal li-

brary, but in 1951 was changed to a county district library serving every

citizen of Delaware County. In addition, the bookmobile, serves twelve

county schools, and adults at designated stops, as well as the Sarah Moore

Home in Delaware.

In 1954 the Library lent 98,589 books and magazines, which was 2,757

more than in 1953. The library lent 258 motion picture films to groups

and individuals. This included 412 showings to audiences totaling 15,074.

Children may participate in a summer reading project, as well as

benefit from a Children's Librarian, and story hour period. Cooperation

is given to individuals, clubs and organizations throughout the county both

in supplying material and in helping plan programs, provide speakers, and

on occasion furnishing a meeting place. A Young Adult Heritage Discus-

sion Group was organized last year. It is one of eight such groups conduc-

ted in Ohio Libraries during the past year. The services of the Library

to the community and county are unlimited.

Mary Palmeter

18
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 19)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 19)

Description

[page 19]

[corresponds to page 19 of Delaware County Historical Society]

TOWN AND COLLEGE

Nature and geological evolution determined the location of our Dela-

ware Sulphur Spring, a natural phenomenon formerly far more famed than

it is today, and the existence of the spring determined the location and

origin of Ohio Wesleyan University. The steps in the process are unique

and interesting.

Long a restful and refreshing haunt of buffalo, deer, and Indian, about

a century and a quarter ago the spring, because of its "salubrious and

health giving, although oderiferious water," and its nearness to the little

village of Delaware, gave rise to the Mansion House Hotel. The hotel in

turn was to become Elliott Hall, the first building of Ohio Wesleyan. The

boom days of President Andrew Jackson and the enterprise of two men.

one Columbus Kent and Thomas W. Powell, an outstanding figure in Dela-

ware history, had built what was for that day an imposing hotel structure.

For a few years this health resort and the sulphur bath houses that

grew up around it attained a certain notoriety, and a degree of gay, "world-

ly" social life, and patrons came from distant parts to this "Saratoga of

the West." But the hazards of frontier economy and in particular the great

panic of 1837 in the administration of Martin VanBuren, brought bankruptcy

and failure to the ambitious effort.

Then came the important steps: The raising, by Delaware citizens,

headed by Adam Poe, the pastor of William Street Church, of ten thousand

dollars to purchase the title and turn the bankrupt hotel into a Methodist

college; the adoption of this program by Methodist leaders; the obtaining,

in 1842, of a charter; and, in 1844, the opening of college classes - Nov-

ember 13, a great day in college and town history. In 1853, in the Little

Mansion at the head of Winter Street, the beginnings of the girls' school,

the Ohio Wesleyan Female College, took place, and later was extended and

called Monnett Hall. The establishment, not only of the men's university,

but also of the girls' college, was to a large degree the work of Delaware

citizens.

The greatest step came in 1877 with the union of the two schools and

Ohio Wesleyan was launched on its significant coeducational career. The

list of names of those Delaware townsmen who were intimately connected

with the founding of both colleges is too long to record here; however,

there are such family names as Powers, Little, Hills, Welch, VanDeman,

Powell, Williams, Pettibone, Joy, and Thomson. The only college names

that can be here mentioned for those formative years (up to 1900), are

those of the four presidents: Edward Thomson, Frederick Merrick,

Charles H. Payne, and James W. Bashford.

In return for what the town did for the college, what has the college

in those decades and later, done for the town? Besides bringing students

by the thousands and spreading the name of Delaware throughout the world,

college professors and administrators have held municipal office, have

served in the City Council, have promoted city improvements, reform,

and welfare agencies, and have even held the office of mayor. At the risk

of making serious omission, the following names may be listed as outstanding

19
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 20)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 20)

Description

[page 20]

[corresponds to page 20 of Delaware County Historical Society]

in this connection: Professors Semans, Merrick, Parsons, Miller,

Westgate, Rowland, and our present young city councilman, Robert

Meyer, and the City Clerk, Russell Bayliff. In the churches, the

Chamber of Commerce, and the service clubs, college men have been

prominent. "Town and Gown" may have experienced instances of

friction in the form of pranks by over-exhuberant collegians, but in

general the spirit of town and college has been cooperative.

Article by H. C. Hubbart

"49-ers"

Forty-eight years after the discovery of gold in California.

Jerome Boynton wrote an account of the "Gallant 49ers." The

Delaware Mutual Protection Co., under Capt. Joseph Storm and

D. N. Darlington, left Delaware April 1, 1849. They arrived at

Placerville, Calif. after three and one-half months of weary travel

without the loss of a single man. They pitched their tents near

the banks of Webber Creek, where gold was discovered. A dairy

written by Rev. Lemuel Herbert tells of another party with accounts

from April 2, 1850 to July 20, 1850. In this group were two women,

Mrs. L. H. and Mrs. R. P. Ranney. These gold seekers were cap-

tured by Indians but released when given a bright colored vest by

George Pugh. Records show more than 150 Delaware County 49-ers.

Mrs. George Pugh

20
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 21)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 21)

Description

[page 21]

[corresponds to page 23 of Delaware County Historical Society]

[missing pages 21 and 22]

MANUFACTURING, INDUSTRY AND BANKING

The prime necessities in a pioneer community were food and shel-

ter and our forefathers were not slow in erecting grist and saw mills

wherever they could find sufficient water power. There is little doubt

that Nathan Carpenter built the first mill in Liberty Township about 1804.

The old stone mill was about a mile north of town on the Olentangy, then

called the Whetstone. Nathaniel Hall built a mill about 1808 on Alum

Creek in Berlin Township near the present Delaware and Sunbury Road.

In 1818 E. Barrett & Co. started a woolen mill along the Olentangy just

north of the Central Avenue bridge. On the Scioto river, grist mills were

located at Millville, now Warrensburg, and at Cone's mill farther north.

Moses Byxbe built a dam across the river north of Central Avenue

and along the mill race on the west bank he erected a grist and saw mill,

and shortly afterwards a woolen mill. Sometime later on the opposite

bank, Judge Powell and Hawes & Brigham built the large stone building,

still standing, to manufacture products from flax, then extensively used.

They also made twine and cotton bagging. They went under in the panic

of 1872 and the buildings were acquired by the Delaware Chair Company,

which made double cane-seated chairs. To extract the oil from the flax

seed, J. A. Barnes built the substantial stone building at the northwest

corner of Winter and Lake Streets. A paper mill was established by

Caleb Howard at Stratford in 1830. It operated until 1872 and at one time

was considered the most important paper mill west of the Alleghenies.

The Delaware Fence Company was organized in 1868 by A. J. Rich-

ards and Eugene Powell. Some of their product did enclose the court

house grounds. When taken down it was moved to the county home grounds,

but has recently been removed from there. Col. Byxbe had a still in the

cellar of his grist mill, another still was built by Dr. Reuben Lamb on the

Delaware run nearly opposite the spot where Edwards Gymnasium now

stands. Joab Norton built the first tannery in Delaware in 1809 just north

of the Edwards Gymnasium location.

The cigar makign business started in Delaware County in the early

1850's, with Charles Wottring as the pioneer. The oldest and largest

firm was The Riddle Graff & Co. Mr. Christian Riddle learned his trade

with Mr. Wootring, then in 1866, formed his own firm as a partnership

with John Liebenderfer and Jacob Bolinger. This firm purchased the

Wootring business and the following year Mr. Riddle withdrew from the

firm. This firm continued with some personnel changes until the early

80's when it was assigned to Charles Wootring who closed it.

After Mr. Riddle withdrew from the firm, he started his own, in

1867, doing a small business. It is said that the first 100 cigars he

shipped went to a man in Galion, Ohio, who never paid for them. In the

early 70's George L. Graff became a partner and the name Riddle & Graff

was adopted and then in 1874 LeRoy W. Battenfield became a partner and

23
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 22)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 22)

Description

[page 22]

[corresponds to page 24 of Delaware County Historical Society]

the name was changed to Riddle Graff & Co. Mr. Graff retired from the

firm in the early 90's. Their office and factory were located at 10 N.

Sandusky St. This three story building was erected in 1878 and the com-

pany employed from 120 to 150 cigar-makers, to whom were paid between

$35,000 and $40,000 annually in wages. Their production of cigars each

year was from six to eight millions, and five traveling salesmen were

employed to secure sales in about six of the surrounding states. This

business proved to be the largest of its kind in the state and continued

until January 1, 1923 when Mr. Riddle retired after 56 years of active ser-

vice. He was an active civic worker, director and president of the Deposit

Banking and one of the founders of the Peoples Building and Loan Company.

He was among those authorizing the building of the structures which housed

these businesses. Other cigar makers were the J. Hessnauer & Co.,

Pfiffner and Hessnauer, The Delaware Co-Operative Cigar Co., Grasser

and Haas, Wm. Hanitsch and Wells Brothers. The only cigar box manufac-

turer in the county was Charles M. Ulrey who started in the early 80's and

turned out around 500 boxes a day which were almost all used in this county.

The Delaware Underwear Company was organized by W. A. Morrison

in 1902 and was located in the building directly north of what is now Edgar

Hall. About 1908 the company erected the building which is now Edgar Hall

and the name of the company was changed to the Delaware Garment Co.

They manufactured women's outing gowns, cotton dresses and skirts, and

employed about 150 people. Later a branch factory in Galena manufactured

outing flannel gowns.

During the 1913 flood the water rose to the height of 7 1/2 feet in the

building and some 600 dozen gowns, stored in the wareroom, were dried on

the Wesleyan front campus. In 1918 W. A. Morrison sold his interest and

established the Morrison Dry Goods Co. J. L. Anderson became president

of the Garment Company and Robert Cellars and H. C. Kent were directors.

In 1922 the company was liquidated and the building was sold to Ohio Wes-

leyan and called Edgar Hall.

There have been Delaware factories producing steam engines, iron

fence, and farm wagons, as well as foundries and planing mills. The Dela-

ware Clay Company manufactures brick. We now have Denison Engineering

Co., Delaware Lumber Co. (sucker rods); Delaware Screw Products (mach-

ine screws); Greif Bos. Cooperage Co. (barrels, offices only); Hughes

Keenan Corp. (truck bodies); Industrial Canvas Co. (canvas products);

A. C. Miller Co. (handles); Parker Products Co. (auto creepers); Ranco

Co., (thermostats); Sunray Stove Co., H. H. Rardon Co. (caskets); Scioto

Lime & Stone Co., Valves & Presses, Pennsylvania Salt Mfg. Co. (chemical

specialities); Galena Tile & Shale Co., The Nestles Co. of Sunbury (choco-

late products).

The earliest existence of banking on record in Delaware County was

in 1817 when two banks of issue were organized, but, failing to obtain

State charters, were soon dissolved.

24



Delaware County Historical Society (p. 23)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 23)

Description

[page 23]

[corresponds to page 25 of Delaware County Historical Society]

On June 14, 1845 the Delaware County branch of the State Bank of

Ohio was organized with capital stock of $100,000. Officers were Judge

Hosea Williams, president, and Benjamin Powers, cashier. In March

1865 the business was transferred to The Delaware County National Bank

and continued until January 1905, when the named was changed to The

Delaware National Bank. On April 4, 1931 a new bank, the Delaware

County National Bank, acquired the assets and assumed the liabilities of

The Delaware National Bank which was liquidated. This bank was merged

with The First National Bank of Delaware on March 15, 1939.

The Bank of Delaware, organized as a State bank on August 3, 1857

was transferred to The First National Bank of Delaware on January 16,

1864 under which name it has continuously operated to date, having ac-

quired the business of The Delaware Co. National Bank on March 15, 1939.

The Deposit Banking Company opened as a co-partnership in Decem-

ber 1869, was incorporated under State charter on May 14, 1890 and was

liquidated in 1932. The Delaware Savings Bank Company was incorporated

in February 1890 and started business on July 27, 1891. The bank was

liquidated in 1932. The Farmers Bank, Sunbury, organized under State

charter in October 1872, has continued in operation to date under that name.

The Bank of Ashley, established in 1884 as a private banking institution and

owned by Messrs. Sperry and Wornstaff was liquidated in 1931.

The Farmers Saving Bank Co., a state bank, opened February 9, 1905,

in Ashley, has operated continually to date. The Bank of Galena, incorpor-

ated under State charter in Jan. 1902, has operated continuously to date.

The Ostrander Banking Co. was granted a State charter in March 1903 and

has operated in Ostrander continuously to date. The Powell Bank opened

March 23, 1909 and continued in business until June 29, 1912. The Delaware

County Bank under State charter, opened in Delaware, October 7, 1950.

C. W. Denison, Robert Powers, M. S. Cherington, W. B. Galleher

DELAWARE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

The Delaware Board of Trade was organized in October 1899. Its object

was to collect and disseminate such local and general statistical and other

information as might promote the manufacturing, commercial and financial

welfare of Delaware, and advance its growth, beauty and general prosperity.

The purposes of this parent Board have been embodied in all the activities

of the various succeeding organizations which have been continued down

through the years.

The present name of Delaware Chamber of Commerce was adopted in 1922.

Headquarters are now in the Peoples Bldg., Winter and Sandusky Streets.

Membership includes industrial, business and civic leaders of both the city

of Delaware and Delaware County.

Leigh Townsend

25
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 24)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 24)

Description

[page 24]

[corresponds to page 26 of Delaware County Historical Society]

THE DELAWARE FARMERS EXCHANGE ASSOCIATION

This farmer-owned cooperative, which is now the largest of its

kind in Ohio, was incorporated on February 15, 1919 by Lewis Slack, R. G.

Dickerson, Charles Kunze, D. W. Jones and C. W. Humes (only one now

living). Temporary officers were: T. L. Oswald, chairman, and Ber-

nard Hatten, secretary, and they sold the first ten shares of $100 par,

with payment of $10 on each subscription in order to raise the $100.

needed for the incorporation fee. The preliminary work was under the

guidance of the first Agriculture Agent of Delaware County, Forrest G.

Ketner. The first officers and directors elected were: C. C. Dunlap,

president; T. L. Oswald, vice president; Bernard Hatten, secretary;

Ashton S. Conklin, treasurer; Lewis Slack, W. W. Ferguson, G. A. Dix,

R. G. Dickerson, C. W. Humes, Elmer C. Miller and Walter A. Jones.

The only ones now living are Dix, Humes, Miller and Hatten.

The new cooperative on June 1, 1919 bought out the "Electric Mill"

on South Sandusky Street, from West and Murphy and this burned several

years later. W. A. West became the first manager, followed a year later

by Daniel E. Murphy, a brother of the former partner-owner. The pre-

sent manager, Clifford S. Gooding, who had been elected manager of the

Lewis Center Branch in 1924 was a few years later elected general mana-

ger of the fast growing organization. During the years the Association

has taken over the elevators at Lewis Center and Radnor and the east side

elevator operated for a few years by W. A. West, also the V. T. Hills ware-

house on S. Sandusky Street and the Dunlap Lumber Yard on the C. & O.

R.R. The business has increased from a volume of sales in 1923 of

$248,625.00 to $3,750,000 in 1954 and earnings of $9,209. in 1923 had in-

creased to $140,000 in 1954. New elevators have been erected in Dela-

ware, Lewis Center and Radnor, with modern grinding, mixing plants and

machinery shops installed. Present officers are Bernard Hatten, presi-

dent; George L. Pugh, vice president; Harry E. Desgranges, secretary-

treasurer; and directors: Claude Neilson Griffith, Harold Gooding,

Harley J. Scott, B. H. Peirsol, Kenneth Freeman, E. P. Jones, L. Gale

Russell, George Pugh and Bernard Hatten. There are now over 1700 stock-

holders in this local farmer cooperative.

Bernard Hatten

26
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 25)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 25)

Description

[page 25]

[corresponds to page 27 of Delaware County Historical Society]

RUTHERFORD B. HAYES

[portrait of Hayes]

Rutherford B. Hayes, nineteenth President of the United

States, was born in Delaware, October 4, 1822. His father had died

two months before his birth, so that his Uncle Sardis Birchard had

assumed some of the duties of his household. It was through the in-

fluence of Uncle Sardis that the family eventually moved to Fremont,

Ohio.

Hayes was graduated from Kenyon College in 1842 and began

the practice of law in Fremont. Later he was city solicitor of Cincin-

nati. He was a member of Congress in 1865, served as Governor of

Ohio three times and became the nineteenth president of the United

States in 1877. His wife, Lucy Webb Hayes, was one of the first wo-

men to attend classes with men students at Ohio Wesleyan, and the

Sulphur Springs is romantically linked with their courtship. In the

White House, Lucy was known by the "wets" as "Lemonade Lucy"

because she refused to serve wine at official dinners. Hayes' has

been ranked by historians as among our best of presidents.

The birthplace on West William Street was torn down some

years ago to make room for a filling station. A marker commemor-

ates the site. It was erected by the Daughters of the American Rev-

olution.

27
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 26)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 26)

Description

[page 26]

[corresponds to page 28 of Delaware County Historical Society]

1954-1955 PROGRAM OF DELAWARE COUNTY

HISTORICAL SOCIETY

OCTOBER 30 Several members attended the first annual meeting of

the "Ohio Institute on Local and State History" at

Newark, Ohio at the Mound Builders Country Club.

NOVEMBER 1 First annual dinner meeting, Asbury Church. Speaker,

Robert C. Wheeler, field representative of the Ohio

Historical Society, Columbus, O. Topic: "Our Respon-

sibility as a County Historical Society." Technicolor

sound film produced by the Wisconsin Historical Society.

NOVEMBER 22 Willis High Auditorium. "History of Grace Methodist

Church" by Mrs. L. E. Rush, whose husband, L. E.

Rush, was pastor of church from 1908 to 1930. Election

of officers; adoption of constitutional amendments and

by-laws.

JANUARY 24 Willis High Library. Color slides of "Old Homes of

Delaware" by Thomas Graham. Membership drive

under chairmanship of Dr. Cherington opened officially.

FEBRUARY 28 Willis High Library. Forrest Shoemaker, speaker.

Topic: "The Art of Glassmaking." Exhibits from

personel collection.

MARCH 28 Willis High Library. Mrs. Allen Roberts, paper on

"Early History of Marlborough Township."

APRIL 25 Ostrander Presbyterian Church, Ostrander, Ohio.

Highlights of the 1834 "Little Mill Creek Presbyterian

Church" history given by Mrs. Fay Bouic and committee.

Exhibit of interesting antiques of vicinity.

MAY 22 2:00 - 6:00 a.m. Open House at Delaware County

Historical Society Museum, 157 E. William Street.

JUNE Annual Picnic.

28
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 27)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 27)

Description

[page 27]

[corresponds to page 29 of Delaware County Historical Society]

MEMBERSHIP

Membership in the Delaware County Historical Society is

open to everyone and the dues are $2.00 per year for one person,

or for two or more in one household. Why be a member? We

feel that the work the Society wants to do is really a must if we

expect to discover more about our County's early history and

transfer that knowledge to others as the years go by. It offers one

focal point where this knowledge can be assembled and the material

things of the past preserved.

This Society was organized in 1947 and the membership was

carried along at a level of abotu 100. When it was certain that we

were to have a Museum the urge to increase our membership re-

sulted in a personal campaign which netted us 196 new members.

In January a letter was sent out to almost every home in the County.

This resulted in 265 new members which gives us a total of 565

members. These are divided 363 in the city, and 202 in the county

and other points. The county can be further broken down as to

mailing areas as follows:

Delaware R.D. 1 - 29

R.D. 2 20

R.D. 3 14

R.D. 4 23

Sunbury 37

Ashley 9

Galena 6

Westerville 7

Ostrander 8

Powell 8

Radnor 8

Leonardsburg 6

Centerburg 2

Lewis Center 1

Worthington 1

Croton 1

Shawnee Hills 1

Out of the county post offices are 21. This is a growing family

so make haste and send in your $2.00 dues - so little can really help

so much.

Dr. M. S. Cherington,

Membership Chairman

29
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 28)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 28)

Description

[page 28]

[corresponds to page 30 of Delaware County Historical Society]

SOME RECORDS AND PAPERS NOW IN MUSEUM

Sessional Records of United Congregations of Delaware, Radnor and

Liberty, 1819-1835. Daughters of Amer. Rev. Mag. Febr. 1945

Compiled by Anna C. Smith Pabst.

Berlin Township Program of Delaware Co. Historical Society,

April 25, 1949. Compiled by Anna C. Smith Pabst.

Probate Court Records, Delaware Co. A-C inc. Compiled by A.Pabst.

1 roll microfilm, Berlin Twp. 1840 Barter Book, Store Ledgers 1850's

of Samuel W. Nash, Tanktown (cost $12.00) gift of Anna S. Pabst.

School REgisters, 1896, 1902 and 1911, Miss Elena Emerson, Curve

Road School, Berlin Twp., by Maude Emerson Cottrell.

School Register 1887-1889, Dist.No.7, Gregory Road School, Berlin

Twp., Teachers Cora Cellars to Ira Gregory, by Anna S. Pabst.

The Radnor Plank Road - Inns and Radnor Twp. (manuscript) by

Mrs. John Swickheimer.

Life of Gen. William Starke Rosecrans and Bishop Rosecrans,

manuscript of Mrs. Mary Reed

Life of Frank B. Willis, Governor and U.S. Senator, manuscript by

Charles A. Jones, Columbus, O.

Rutherford Birchard Hayes and Delaware, Ohio, Watt P. Marchman,

Director, the Hayes Memorial Library, Fremont, O. Exhibit and

comments from biography by Harry Barnard.

The Underground Railroad in Delaware County, manuscript by

R. B. Miller

History of Old Stone Church, manuscript by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley

Humphreys

Clark Scott (1790-1867) and Descendants, Roy Scott, printed 1950.

Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions, Harlem, Berkshire & on

Delaware, Franklin Co. line. Homer Wyss.

Winter Street of Fifty Years Ago, manuscript by Robert Powers.

Main Genealogy - by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Main and Mrs. Murray

Main.

(In printing)

Berlin Twp. and Delaware County as Told by Contemporaries. (150

copies, from 14 unpublished Revolutionary War Records) Anna Pabst.

Delaware County, Ohio wills, births, deaths, 1812-1932 by Mr. and

Mrs. Carl Main, 1534 E. 248th St., Cleveland, O. Includes cemeteries

of Marlboro, Liberty, Hill, Blockhouse, Township, Mill Creek, Strat-

ford, Fisher-Hopkins Bible Record, Thompson genealogy, some

in Morrow, Union and Madison counties.

30
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 29)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 29)

Description

[page 29]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 31 of Delaware County Historical Society]

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

Many persons have contributed information and articles

to make this book possible. In order to avoid repetition, and

to give the finished book some order and coherence, editing of

the various articles was necessary. We are grateful to the

following listed persons for their efforts in research and writing.

Mrs. Walter Pabst,

Mrs. Myron Dixon, Editors

Mrs. Fay Bouic

Dr. M. S. Cherington

Mrs. Harvey Cruikshank

Charles W. Denison

W. B. Galleher

Thomas Graham

Bernard Hatten

H. C. Hubbart

Mrs. C. Lowell Johnson

Mrs. Don Lawrence, Sr.

Francis Marriott

Lawrence Morrison

Mary Palmeter

Robert Powers

Mrs. George Pugh

D. R. Smith

Leigh Townsend

Floyd Weaver

For those many services rendered in preparing this new

Museum for public opening, we are grateful to the following

persons and companies: Posey Kise, Howard Camp, D. E.

Barkeloo, Charles Hines, Marion Zent, Russell Humes, O. E.

Welker, R. G. Kern, Frank Watson, Lawrence Goad, Charles

Shope, Bus Morris, Robert Kissner, J. L. Watson, E. M. Bonar,

Pearl Hawkins, Delaware Heating Co., Sherwin Williams Co.,

Delaware Lumber Co., Wm. McElfresh & Son Co., McBride

Business Service, Blair Kelley Co., Gateway Publishing Co.,

Tilton Transfer Company.

Delaware County Historical Society
Delaware County Historical Society (p. 30)

Title

Delaware County Historical Society (p. 30)

Description

[page 30]

[corresponds to back cover of Delaware County Historical Society]

[blank]

Dublin Core

Title

Delaware County Historical Society

Subject

Delaware County--History--Ohio
Museums--History--City of Delaware--Delaware County--Ohio
Societies--Historical--City of Delaware--Delaware County--Ohio

Description

This book recounts the Public Opening and Second Annual Pilgrimage of Delaware County Historical Museum (Sunday, May 22, 1955).

Creator

Delaware County Historical Society

Date

May 22, 1955

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/

Format

Book

Language

English

Type

Still Image
Text

Identifier

22221025

Collection

Citation

Delaware County Historical Society, “Delaware County Historical Society,” Delaware County Memory, accessed May 23, 2024, http://www.delawarecountymemory.org/items/show/191.

Output Formats