James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 1)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 1)

Description

[page 1]

[corresponds to front cover of Conger School Dedication Program]

DEDICATION PROGRAM

The James A. Conger Elementary School

Friday May 11, 1956
James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 2)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 2)

Description

[page 2]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 2 of Conger School Dedication Program]

Dedication Program

CONGER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Delaware, Ohio

[photo of Conger School]

"Today's Youth, Tomorrow's Citizens;

Build Today for Tomorrow"

FRIDAY MAY 11, 1956

8:00 P.M.
James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 3)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 3)

Description

[page 3]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 3 of Conger School Dedication Program]

THE JAMES A. CONGER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

The idea of giving a name to what had long been known as "East" School had its

origin among the people of the school community. The process by which the change of

names came about was long, as is always the case where democratic action prevails.

But out of the total process came the voice and the will of the people. And it was

quite natural for the people to want their school named for the principal who had

served them so long and so well, who was loved by so many, and whose loss is still

deeply felt. The late James A. Conger, better known as "Jim," would have wanted

no better monument to his name than this fine modern educational plant, proudly

serving the children and youth of a grateful community.

THE CONSTRUCTION PROGRAM

Construction of the new addition to Conger Elementary School began on April

20, 1955, and the building was first used for school purposes on March 5, 1956. It is

of masonry, reinforced conccrete, and structural steel construction, the exterior being

bricks of red Delaware clay.

The addition contains four classrooms, modern toilet facilities, kitchen, chair

storage room, and an enlargement to the gymnasium auditorium. All ceilings in the

new construction are finished in eggshell tone accoustical plaster; floors throughout

are of asbestos tile in harmonious colors which give an overall effect of pleasantness

and relaxation. Classroom lighting is accomplished by two 28-foot banks of fluores-

cent fixtures, and a special light-diffusing glass in the upper sash of the windows.

Woodwork is natural-finished birch; chalkboards are green clearsite composition and

tackboards are green cork composition.

Each classroom is equipped with a sink and drinking fountain, as well as metal

lockers for pupil coat storage. Heating is by pressurized hot water, fired by automatic

gas burner, and classroom heating units are the Nesbitt book-shelf type for greater

utility and space economy.

The original building was completely redecorated and remodeled, and the original

furniture has been almost completely replaced with modern movable furniture in blond

finish. The installation of a centralized time-control system; an electrically operated

fire alarm system; a public address system equipped with inter-com, AM-FM radio,

and phonograph; and a 9-foot cyclone-type fence around the play areas, add further

to the convenience, safety, and efficiency of the entire school plant.

Cost of the project has been established at $90,000 for construction; $60,000 for

remodeling; and $15,000 for furnishing.

THE GLEE CLUB

Beginning in 1952 the school has had a glee club, made up largely of fifth and

sixth grade pupils. During the 1954-55 school year, when space for rehearsals during

school time was completely lacking, and again during the 1955-56 school year until

completion of the building program, it was necessary to abandon the glee club as a part

of the regular curriculum. It was re-activated in March, 1956, and has nearly 40

members from the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades, all admitted to membership as a result of

try-outs. The addition to our school program is made possible by the splendid co-

operation of teachers, pupils, and parents with the director, Miss Mack.
James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 4)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 4)

Description

[page 4]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 4 of Conger School Dedication Program]

Dedication Program

CONGER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Delaware, Ohio

Friday, May 11, 1956 -- 8:00 P.M.

(The yellow roses have been placed in memory of Mr. Conger by the school faculty)

NATIONAL ANTHEM (Directed by Mr. Eugene Ross) Audience

Audience please remain standing for invocation

INVOCATION The Rev. Father William C. O'Brian

Pastor, St. Mary's Catholic Church

MUSIC Conger School Glee Club

1. Still, Still With Thee . . . . . Mendelssohn

2. To Thee, O Country . . . . . . . Eichberg

3. Walking At Night . . . . . . . . Czech Folk Song

Miss Joan Mack, Director; Miss Lila Howe, Accompanist

PRESENTATION OF THE BUILDING BY THE CONTRACTOR

Mr. Orville E. Norris

PRESENTATION OF THE BUILDING BY THE ARCHITECT

Mr. Galen Oman,

Oman & Cleland, Architects

Columbus, Ohio

ACCEPTANCE OF THE BUILDING BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION

Mr. Bob Burns, President

Delaware City Board of Education

IN APPRECIATION

Mr. Leonard A. Brubaker, Principal, Conger

Elementary School

Mrs. J. H. Salisbury, President, Conger Ele-

mentary School Parent-Teacher Association

INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS

Mr. Carl L. Hopkins, Superintendent,

Delaware City Schools

DEDICATION ADDRESS: "Education for Modern Living"

Dr. Lewis E. Harris, Executive Secretary,

The Ohio School Boards Association

MUSIC The Glee Club

1. Holy, Holy, Holy . . . . . . Schubert

2. Beautiful Dreamer . . . . . Foster

3. America the Beautiful . . . Ward

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE Audience, standing

BENEDICTION The Rev. H. C. Heinlein

Minister, Grace Methodist Church

Reception in Room 3 following the program. All children must be accompanied

by adults.
James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 5)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 5)

Description

[page 5]

[corresponds to unlabeled page 5 of Conger School Dedication Program]

SUPERINTENDENT D. R. SMITH

It is appropriate to mention the late Superintendent D. R. Smith as the person

who was in large part responsible for the early planning stages of the project which

we are tonight dedicating. Let us continue to remember him and pay tribute to him

for the tireless energy and faithful service which he gave to the educational program of

our community.

BOARD OF EDUCATION

Bob Burns, President Merle Law

C. Eugene Peebles Paul Kissner

Harry Humes Jean Virtue, Clerk

Ervin F. Carlisle, Deceased September, 1954

J. H. Collord, Retired December, 1955

CARL L. HOPKINS, Superintendent of Schools

CONGER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STAFF

Mr. Leonard A. Brubaker, Principal

Mrs. Elmo Hall, First grade Mrs. Mary Frohner, Third grade

Miss Ruthella Sheets, First grade Mrs. Helen Macmillan, Fourth grade

Mrs. Anne Ross, Second grade Mrs. Katherine Jones, Fifth grade

Mrs. May Sipe, Second grade Mrs. Verrelle Reid, Sixth grade

Mrs. Margaret Criswell, Third grade Mrs. Grace Mussard, Fifth & Sixth grades

Mr. George Blakeslee, Physical Education Supervisor

Miss Joan Mack, Vocal Music Supervisor

Mr. Eugene Ross, Instrumental Music Teacher

Mrs. Carolyn G. White, Religious Education Teacher

Mr. William Curtis, Custodian

ARCHITECTS

Oman & Cleland, Columbus, Ohio

BUILDERS

Orville E. Norris, General Contractor, Delaware

J. F. Stephens, Heating Contractor, Columbus

The Gestling Company, Plumbing Contractor, Columbus

Fast Electric Company, Electric Contractor, Columbus

Decorative plants have been furnished through the courtesy of Mr. Cyrus Breece,

florist.
James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 6)

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program (p. 6)

Description

[page 6]

[corresponds to back cover of Conger School Dedication Program]

[blank]

Dublin Core

Title

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program

Subject

Dedications-Elementary Schools--James A. Conger--City of Delaware--Ohio
Schools--City of Delaware--Delaware County--Ohio
Schools--City of Delaware--Delaware--Ohio--James A. Conger

Description

Dedication Program for James A. Conger Elementary School in Delaware City, Delaware County, Ohio

Creator

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Staff

Date

1956

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/

Format

Program

Language

English

Type

Still Image
Text

Identifier

22221013

Collection

Citation

James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Staff, “James A. Conger Elementary School Dedication Program,” Delaware County Memory, accessed May 23, 2024, http://www.delawarecountymemory.org/items/show/179.

Output Formats